Monday, August 9, 2010

Glacier Bay National Park, Arrraska

What an awesome vacation.. Alaska was way cooler than I expected.
Or as Garrison and I frequently called it in our native tongue, Arrrrrrraska. Haha

The vacation was full of pleasant surprises!

We did a ton of stuff, so I don’t want to bore you with all the specifics. I wrote in my vacation journal for all the memories for later. So I guess I’ll just post a picture for each momentous occasion of the trip.

Day 1
Arrival in Glacier Bay! A bright green bus drove us from the airport to the National Park Lodge.

Day 2
The off-limits trail we hiked on. Less than a week prior to this photo, a ranger was charged by a brown bear very near here, but we trekked on anyways..


 After the hike, on to a bike ride into town! Gustavus is a beautiful little town.

Day 3
Day boat tour up Glacier Bay!
Lamplugh Glacier!

Johns Hopkins Glacier! And some Nauman tourists…

3 Killer Whales!!! Shamuuuuuu in real liiiiiiife

Day 4
Dinner boat cruise around Point Adolphus. We saw so many humpback whales!!!


Day 5
This kid was psyyyyched to go kayaking haha

We were spoiled with a mama bear sighting with her two cubs!!!! The most AMAZING thing I’ve ever seen in real life, hands down.


Day 6
Last day in Glacier Bay
 Went for a hike before our flight. We walked out to the spot where we saw the bears the day before.

We found TONS of rocks with really awesome veins in them. May have pocketed a few of the really cool ones, but don’t tell the feds.

Finally
A couple shots of the most fun trail run I have ever had the pleasure of partaking in. It was a perfect mile loop trail. So if you’re hiking for this first time, this is your beginner trail. But if you’re trail running, it’s the perfect course! One of the days out there I ran around it 5 times, two laps with Garrison. My second favorite run next to Ali’i drive in Kona.




Can you spot the eagle carving in the tree??

More on the topic of working out on this trip.. Garrison and I found ways to do it. We were eating plenty of salmon and hiking, biking, kayaking, and running. Not to mention the two times we did P90X plyo and abs for fun! Alaska is a wonderful place to vacation for us active folk. I’ll never forget the whales, the glaciers, baby sea lions, bears, and abundance of salmon. I’ll be back, Glacier Bay. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment